BEN ARRIVATA DI EVENTI SCAMBI METTE IN EVIDENZA CONTATTO
Speakers Tips from Jerry's Italian Food, Wine and Culture
Notes from Christine Cappy Dr. of Anthropology Works at COCC and Oregon State Cascades Started the Bend Language Institute just 2 months ago
● Body language is important to Italians
● Their space between communicator and one being communicated to is close
● Italians (youth especially) love hanging out together
● Italians have a great amount of freedom compared to Americans
● In discos, drinking coffee, restaurants, bridge sitting or any common area
● Usually do not drive and if so every 3 months or so. Public transportation is much more widely used
● Being late is more the norm in Italy than in USA - do not panic should your Italian sister, brother, or family are a bit late
● Going into the town or small piazze is also normal and enjoyed by all ages
● Typical to see outdoor markets where all sorts of fruits and vegetables, pizza, pasti are shared
● In the Italian home wine is enjoyed even with youth but in small portions
● Important to try and finish what is on your plate and NO to go options
● It shows respect for the chef in Italy.
● People are able to drink (alcoholic beverages too) outside while hanging out
● Common for youth to go to discoteque until the wee hours of the morning (1:00am)
● Families travel by train to most places particularly the beach where they go to a bagno (where there are chairs , towels, and congregate with friends
● Important to learn some of the Italian language out of respect for the culture. If indeed working toward fluency will take at least 2 years of living in the Italian culture. “Living and breathing the Italian way of life”
● Paramount to the Italian culture is the important connection with adults and families. Very essential.
ITALY - PLACES TO GO AND THINGS TO SEE
CIVITA BAGNOREGGIO - NORTH OF ROMA - IS HIGHLIGHTED IN RICK STEVES BOOK - QUITE SPECTACULAR AND UNUSUAL! CAR NEEDED
PARCO DI MOSTRA - BOMARZO - SOUTH OF CIVITA AND ORVIETO - NORTH OF ROMA - - THIS IS AN UNUSUAL PLACE FULL OF HUGE WHIMSICAL MONSTER SCULPTURES. HARD TO DESCRIBE - I HAVE NOT BEEN THERE IN YEARS BUT IT IS MEMORABLE TO ME FOR A WALK IN A PARK AND STUMBLING UPON THESE UNUSUAL SCULPTURES. CAR NEEDED
ASSISI - UMBRIA - HIRE A GOOD GUIDE - THIS IS A SPECIAL TOWN
CORTONA - HOME OF THE BOOK - “UNDER THE TUSCAN SUN” IS A LITTLE TOURISTY NOW BUT HAS A GREAT MEDIEVAL WALL BUILT ON TOP OF THE ETRUSCAN WALL AND LOVELY TOWN. ETRUSCAN MUSEUM IS GREAT AND I BELIEVE IT IS CALLED THE ACADEMIA. (MAYBE THE BEST MUSEUM OF ITS KIND) IF YOU ARE INTERESTED IN THESE FASCINATING PEOPLE -
ALSO, THE MUSEO DIOCESANO HAS THE ANNUNCIATION BY FRA ANGELICO - IT WILL BE FAMILIAR TO YOU - TRAIN
SAN MARCO MONASTERY - IN PARTICULAR THE FRA ANGELICO PAINTINGS.
MUSEO D’OPERA - SPECIAL TREASURES FROM THE DUOMO HAVE BEEN MOVED HERE - IT IS BEHIND THE DUMO. IN PARTICULAR, I LOVE MICHELANGELO’S 2ND PIETO AND THE MARY MAGDALENE BY DONATELLO - TRAIN
1ST WEEKEND OF EACH MONTH, THERE IS AN INCREDIBLE ANTIQUE FAIR IN THE PIAZZA GRANDE
IF YOU ARE A FAN OF THE MOVIE “THE ENGLISH PATIENT”, THE SCENE WHERE THE WOMAN IS HOLDING ON TO THE BELL ROPE AND IS PASSING BEAUTIFUL FRESCO’S, GO TO BASILICO SAN FRANCESCO - THIS IS A BEAUTIFUL CHURCH WITH FRESCOS BY PIERO DELLO FRANCESCO.
IF YOU ARE A FAN OF “LIFE IS BEAUTIFUL”, MUCH OF THE FILM OF THEIR MARRIED LIFE IS FILMED IN AREZZO -
AREZZO WAS ONE OF THE ORIGINAL 12 ESTRUCAN CITY STATES WITH A MEDIEVAL CITY BUILT ON TOP OF IT. TRAIN
BUT IF YOU GO TO AREZZO IN A CAR - GOT FOR LUNCH NORTH OF TOWN CALLED LA CAPANNACIA. ASK FOR BEPPI - HE WILL FEED YOU WELL. DIRECTIONS - YOU DRIVE NORTH ON ROAD O CHIASSO/TREGOZZANO AND JUST PAST THIS VILLAGE IS RIGHT HAND TURN OFF INTO THE HILLS. THERE IS A SIGN FOR RESTAURNAT OFF THIS ROAD.
SAN GALGONO -
20 miles south of Siena - A BEAUTIFUL 13TH CENTURY ROOFLESS CATHEDRAL (1ST GOTHIC CHURCH BUILT IN ITALY) - IT IS IN RUINS - BUT QUIET, MAJESTIC AND STUNNING. A GREAT PLACE TO TAKE A PICNIC. NEARBY IS A CHAPEL (EREMO) BUILT AFTER SAN GALGONO DIED IN 1180 AND HAS A STONE IN THE CENTER WHERE SAN GALGONO BURIED HIS SWORD WHEN HE GAVE UP HIS FIGHTING LIFE AND DEDICATED HIS LIFE TO FAITH. CAR IS NEEDED
SMALL RENAISSANCE DESIGNED TOWN, UNESCO SITE SURROUNDED BY THE HILLS OF THE VAL D’ORCIA THAT HAS THE BEST PECORINO CHEESE (PECORINO DI PIENZA) IN THE WORLD. CAR IS NEEDED
GREAT WINE! AND A BEAUTIFUL MEDIEVAL TOWN. TRULY A PRISTINE MEDIAEVAL TOWN. CAR NEEDED
ONE OF OUR FAVORITE TOWNS - 2000 YEAR OLD COLISIEM STILL BEING USED - A ROMAN AMPHITHEATER - SO MUCH TO SEE - THIS TOWN HAS THE MOST ROMAN RUINS OUTSIDE OF ROME. IF YOU ARE GOING THERE, CALL ME - THERE IS SO MUCH TO SEE AND THE TOWN IS VERY TOURIST FRIENDLY - TRAIN
MORE TO COME - KIT IS NAGGING ME TO GET THIS TO HIM!!!